Crawford County, Pennsylvania
History & Biography
Part V: Biographical Sketches
WOODCOCK TOWNSHIP & BOROUGH
WILLIAM A. BAILLIET, farmer, P. O. Long's Stand, was born in Woodcock Township, this county, November 25, 1829, son of Joseph and Mary (Swart) Balliet, who came from Lehigh County and settled here about 1825, the former of whom was a son of Daniel Balliet, and of French descent, the latter a daughter of Daniel Swartz, formerly of Lehigh County,
Penn., and an early settler of Woodcock Township, this county, locating here about 1825. Joseph Balliet had four children: William A.; Lavina, wife of Augustus Sweeney, of Vernon Township, this county; Angeline, wife of David McFadden, of Meadville, and Matilda, wife of John S. Bell. Our subject was married, February 3, 1878, to Hattie A., daughter of Edmund and Philena (Baldwin) Smith, formerly of New York, of Summerhill Township, this county, by whom he had two children: Joseph E. and Charles W. Mr. Balliet's wife died November 9, 1882. He has always lived in this township, and now owns the homestead first settled by his father, who died in 1869, at the age of sixty-six. His mother is still living.
CORNELIUS A. CARRINGER, miller, P. O. Long's Stand, was born in Mercer County, Penn., December 7, 1834, and is a son of Henry and Nancy (Feathers) Carringer, and grandson of Martin Carringer, a native of Germany, who settled in what is now Perry Township, Mercer County, in 1799. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, serving under Gen. Anthony Wayne. Our subject was reared on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits in Mercer County till 1875, when he came to this county, locating in Woodcock and purchasing the property known as the Old Dickson Grist Mill, the first built in this county, and has followed milling ever since. Mr. Carringer has been twice married, on the first occasion February 10, 1859, to Nancy E., daughter of Wesley and Nancy (Donaldson) Green, of Lawrence County, Penn., who bore him four children, two now living: Nanie J. (wife of Charles Shrubb) and Clara E. (wife of Ira Wygant). He was again married, July 17, 1871, to Nancy E., daughter of William and Elizabeth Donaldson, of
Lawrence County. Since purchasing, Mr. Carringer has built an addition to the mill, 16x28, making the total size 28x53 feet. He is a member of the K. of H.; in politics a Republican.
JAMES G. HUMES, farmer and cheese manufacturer, P. O. Woodcock, was born in what is now Cambridge Township, this county, June 16, 1812, son of Robert and Jane (Humes) Humes, the former of whom, a native of Ireland and son of John Humes, settled in Cambridge Township in 1796 on the farm which he cleared and improved, now owned by David Humes. They were parents of nine children: John C., deceased; Thomas, deceased; Robert; Archibald, deceased; James G.; Jane, deceased; Mary, wife of William Humes; David M., and Margaret A. Our subject married, February 6, 1833, Cythera, daughter of Lyman and Lydia (Holmes) Bishop, of Genesee County, N. Y. Mr. Humes was reared on a farm, and has chiefly followed agricultural pursuits and dairying. For seven years he kept a general store at Woodcock; for four years operated a grist-mill in Union City, Erie Co., and was also engaged in banking business there. He is now conducting a large farm, and is proprietor of an extensive cheese factory. Mr. Humes served as Justice of the Peace for fifteen years, and in minor township offices; in politics is a Democrat. He and his wife have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. He has always been a liberal, enterprising citizen, giving freely of his means to the cause of Christianity.
C. W. KNERR, tanner and Justice of the Peace, Woodcock, was born in Woodcock Township, this county, October 19, 1830, and is a son of Eli and Elizabeth (Minium) Knerr. Eli, a native of Lehigh County, Penn., and a son of Andrew Knerr, who was a native of Germany and a soldier in the Revolution, was a carpenter by trade and worked at that business all his life; he settled in Woodcock in 1828; in 1837 he returned to his native county, and lived there until 1849, when he came back to Woodcock, where he resided until his death. He died June 9, 1858, at the age of fifty-two. The subject of this sketch learned the trade of a tanner while in Lehigh County, Penn., and after his return to this county worked at his trade, in different places, until 1854, when he purchased the tannery in Woodcock, which he still owns, and in which he has done a profitable business up to the present time. It is one of the oldest tanneries in Crawford County, being the second one built, and the oldest now in existence in the county. Mr. Knerr was married, January 12, 1854, to Hannah, daughter of Joseph Wotring, of Woodcock Township, this county, by whom he has one child—Alice (now Mrs. Frank Cummings). Mr. and Mrs. Knerr are members of the Presbyterian Church. He has held all the public offices in Woodcock Borough, with the exception of School Director, and is now serving his second term as Justice of the Peace. In politics he is a Republican.
SAMUEL T. RICE, farmer, P. O. Woodcock, was born in this township July 2, 1811; son of Thomas and Mary (Hammond) Rice, who settled here in 1810, locating on the farm now occupied by their only child, the subject of this sketch, and
which he helped to clear and improve. Thomas Rice, a native of Allegheny County, Penn., was a son of James and Mary (Jones) Rice, formerly of Philadelphia. His wife, Mary, was a daughter of William and Margery (Dougherty) Hammond, who came from Williamsport, Penn., and settled in Woodcock Township, this county, in
1798. Thomas Rice, Sr., was for many years a Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian Church at Gravel Run (now called Woodcock), and was elected Superintendent of the first Sabbath-school organized in the place, in the year 1822, a position which he was chosen to occupy many years thereafter. He was also a soldier in the war of 1812. Our subject has always resided on the old homestead where he was born. He was united in marriage, July 13, 1844, with Sally, daughter of Philip and Lydia (Flick) Renner, who settled in Woodcock Township, this county, in 1830. To this union were born five children: William H., Thomas, Lydia J., John F., and Anna E. (wife of
Joseph B. Kelly). Mr. Rice has held various offices in the gift of this township. In politics he is a Democrat.
ROBERT SHAW, retired farmer, Saegertown, was born in Venango County, Penn., May 23, 1804, son of James and Margaret (Irwin) Shaw. The former was a soldier in the war of 1812, and a son of Robert Shaw, all natives of Pennsylvania. The latter was a daughter of James Irwin, one of the first settlers of Cussewago Township, this county. Our subject, after spending the greater part of his life in his native county, moved to Saegertown in 1870. He was married, March 31, 1836, to Frances B., daughter of Wendell and Sarah (McGill) Bartholomew, of Clinton, Penn. By this union there were nine children: James W., of Bradford, Penn.; Robert L., of Franklin, Penn.; Adelia, wife of William Stevens, of Venango County, Penn.; Sylvester I., of Fort Lewis, Colo.; Ann J., wife of Hugh Gillespie, of Venango County, Penn.; Emeline E., wife of John Johnson, Custer City, Penn.; Sarah E.; Frances, wife of A. Rittneyer, and Parker. James W. served in the late war, enlisting in 1863. He lost his right arm at the battle of Gettysburg, July 3, 1863; is now a prominent attorney and City Judge of Bradford, Penn. Our subject was a Democrat until the organization of the Republican party, which he has since supported. He is a tanner by trade; but has followed farming most of his life. Both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
CHRISTOPHER SIVERLING, farmer, P. O. Long's stand, was born in Venango Township, this county, June 5, 1823; son of John and Hannah (Camp) Siverling, and grandson of Christopher Siverling, who settled in Venango Township, this county, in 1794, locating on the farm known as the Tarr farm, which they cleared and improved. John Siverling was drafted in the war of 1812, serving under Gen. Harrison. He had six children: Betsy (deceased), wife
of Simon Pieffer; George; Daniel; Margaret, wife of George Lasher; Christopher, and Catherine, wife of Elias Rogers. Our subject was twice married; on first occasion, May 9, 1844, to Mary, daughter of Michael and Rhoda (Brookhouser) Straw, of Hayfield Township, this county, who bore him five children: Anna, wife of Henry Jones,
of Bradford, Penn.; Emma, wife of J. W. McFadden, of Rockdale Township, this county; Elizabeth; Margaret, wife of Fred Davis, of Bradford, Penn.; and Alice. Of these, Anna and Emma are twins. He was remarried, November 15, 1866, to Sarah, daughter of Christian and Sarah (Strauss) Houser, of Hayfield Township, this county. By this union there are two children: Homer and Mary. Mr. Siverling resided in Venango Township until 1845, when he located in Saegertown, built a pottery and embarked in the manufacture of earthen-ware, which he followed for eighteen years. In 1870 he purchased his present farm and has followed agricultural pursuits ever since. He has held various township offices. In politics he is a Democrat.
ANDREW J. TRACE, farmer, P. O. Saegerstown, was born in Vernon Township, this county, August 2, 1840, son of John and Anna (Brown) Trace, natives of this county. The former was a son of Frank Trace, one of the first settlers of Vernon Township, and of German descent. The latter was a daughter of Ferdinand Brown, an early settler of Summit Township, this county. Our subject was reared on a farm, and has always followed agricultural pursuits. He was married, January 3, 1867, to Susan, daughter of John and Sarah (Saxton) Van Marter, of Vernon Township, this county, formerly of Groton, N. Y. By this union there were born two children: Emmet and Sarah (deceased). Mr. Trace came to Woodcock Township, this county, in the spring of 1873, locating on the farm where he now resides. He is a member of the K. of H. In politics he is a staunch Republican.
GEORGE N. WAID, farmer, P. 0. Meadville, was born in Woodcock Township, this county, October 27, 1829; son of Ira C. and Elizabeth P. (Morehead) Waid, natives of Connecticut. Ira C. was a son of Pember Waid, of Connecticut, and settled in Woodcock Township, this county, in 1816, locating on the farm now owned by Francis C. Waid, which they cleared and improved. Mrs. Ira C. Waid was a daughter of Robert and Sarah (Clark) Morehead, former a native of Ireland, and who settled in Vernon Township, this county, in 1818. To Ira C. Waid and his wife were born four children, viz.: Robert L., deceased; George N.; Franklin P., deceased, and Francis C.—the last two named were twins. Our subject was married, April 30, 1855, to Mary J., daughter of Cyrus and Priscilla (Gilbert) Bean, early settlers of this township, formerly of Bucks County, Penn. To this union were born ten children: Iowa (born in Lee County, Iowa, wife of Walter Joslin, and living in this county), Elizabeth P. (born in Lee County, Iowa, wife of William Riddle, and living in Bolivar, Allegany Co., N. Y.), Blanche E. (also a native of Lee County, Iowa, wife of Augustus Anderhalt, and living in Union, Erie Co., Penn.), Greely (died March 27, 1864, aged two years, ten months and five days), Grant N., Ira C., Jennie L., Plunmar B., Lloyd, and Charley (born October 21, 1881). Mr. Waid moved to Iowa in 1855, taking a span of good horses with him, and bringing them back to Crawford County on his return home in 1860. While in Iowa our subject was visited in the spring of 1857 by his parents, and in the fall of 1860 by his brother, Francis C., who then for the first time saw " the West," and he accompanied his brother and family on their journey fifteen days after leaving West Point, Iowa, as far as Indianapolis, Ind., where he left them, thence returned to Erie, Penn., by rail, and from there to Meadville by stage. Our subject's father assisted him in buying a piece of land in Iowa, on which he built a house and which he farmed until his return home, but several years afterward sold, as renting property so far away was not profitable. Mr. Waid has resided since 1865 on his present farm located on the Dickson road, four miles northeast of Meadville, and one mile north of the Methodist Episcopal Church on the State road. He has a saw-mill for custom work, which he operates during four months in each year. Mr. Waid enlisted during the late Rebellion in July, 1862; received a gunshot through the lungs at the battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, and was honorably discharged on account of disability February 18, 1864. Francis C. Waid, George N. Waid, and their brother-in-law, George W. Cutshall, have traveled many thousand miles together. In 1876 they visited the Centennial; in the fall of 1880 they had the pleasure of visiting friends and relatives in Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska; and in December, 1883, they made a trip to Knoxville, East Tenn., on which occasion Mr. Francis C. Waid's mission was one of business and to see his eldest son. Mr. Waid in politics is independent. His portrait appears in this volume through the liberality and as a complimentary tribute from his
only brother now living, F. C. Waid.
DANIEL WEIKAL, farmer, P. O. Meadville, was born in Columbia County, Penn., December 7, 1822, son of Daniel and Mary M. (Savage) Weikal. When he was two years old his parents moved to Venango County, Penn., where they lived and died. They had nine children, six now living: Elizabeth (wife of Seth T. Newton, of Hayfield Township, this county), William, John, Daniel, Martha (wife of James Curtis, of Oakland Township, Venango Co., Penn.,) and Joseph. The subject of this sketch lived in Venango County, Penn., until 1844, when he came to this county, and in 1845 purchased the farm on which he resides in this township, which he has partly cleared and improved himself. He has been twice married. On first occasion, January 16, 1845, to Mary, daughter of Asa and Mary (Dorrel) Dunn, by whom he had two children: Mary J. and an infant, both deceased. His second marriage, July 3, 1860, was with Priscilla, daughter of Adam and Nancy (Dunn) Yocom, early settlers of this county. Mr. Weikal has filled several of the minor township offices. In politics he is a Democrat. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
SAMUEL WISE, farmer, P. O. Meadville, was born in Aaronsburg, Centre Co., Penn., September 18, 1806; son of Martin and Katherine (Lutz) Wise. He came to Woodcock Township, this county, with his father, in 1830, settling a half
mile from his present residence. They bought the farm, which was cleared and improved and is now owned by our subject, in 1837, settling on it in 1839, and keeping public house until 1858. Martin was twice married, Samuel being the only issue by his first union. By his marriage with Susan Motz, who became his second wife, were five children, three now living, viz.: Mary, wife of Michael Minium; Lucinda, wife of Samuel Richards, and Eliza, wife of G. W. Hecker. The subject of this sketch was married October, 1859, to Mary, daughter of John and Catherine Mosier, of Cussewago Township, this county, who bore him one son—William S. She died in 1878, aged fifty-five. Mr. Wise has filled various township offices. In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
CHARLES WOTRING, farmer, P. O. Saegertown, was born in Lehigh County, Penn., August 20, 1812; son of Samuel and Eve (Garver) Wotring, who settled in Woodcock Township, this county, in 1826, purchasing, in 1827, the tract of land now owned and occupied by our subject and the County Poor Farm, clearing and improving a good share of it. Charles Wotring was married, January 15, 1837, to Mary, daughter of Peter and Charlotte (Good) Beige, who were among the early settlers of this township; they were from Lehigh County, Penn., and of German descent. To this union were born thirteen children, viz: William, Henry, Eliza (deceased), Gideon, Samuel, Lavina (wife of Frank Hildebrand), Alfred P., Anna, Daniel, Wayne, Charles, Phebe C. and an infant (deceased). Mr. Wotring in politics is a Republican. He and his family are members of the German Reformed Church.