ries of oil well tools and engines are superior to anything of the kind found outside of Pittsburgh. The largest works of this kind here is the
These Works are owned by Messrs. Bryan, Dillingham & Co., and are situated on Franklin street, and were established here in 1861, by Messrs. Bryan & McMullen. In its infancy it was but a small affair, there being but one similar shop in the place, which only gave employment to about six men, but through the skillful management of Mr. Jas. Bryan, additions were made from time to time, both in the proprietorship and the works, and at the present time they are surpassed by none in the oil region or in Western Pennsylvania. The magnitude of these Works may be inferred from their production of finished work, and men and capital employed. Four iron tanks have been completed, of a capacity of 20,000 bbls. Each. The firm have also built over 100,000 bbls. of tankage in the oil regions. The shop turns out four boilers and engines per week, on an average; two derrick rigs and two sets of tools per day, besides casting and manufacturing all the brass works for their own use and for their wholesale and retail trade. The refiners stills manufactured by this company have acquired a standard reputation. The well tools of the Petroleum Iron Works have gained a reputation not only in the oil region, but are known throughout the United States and the Pacific coast of South America. The firm employ 140 men, to whom they pay, annually, $125,000, and have a capital of $200,000 invested.
These Works, together with those of Messrs. Gibbs, Russell & Co., and the Union Petroleum Co.s works, both of the latter being conducted on a very large scale, with an extensive boiler yard, planing mills, tanneries, oil refineries, paper mill, furniture establishments, &c., all do a large and prosperous local as well as shipping business.&nsp; Among the most prosperous business pursuits here is the Real Estate Agency of
Dealer in oil land, oil wells, leases, &c., which was established in 1864, and next page