rooms, two stories high; the engine and boiler house, the dye house, and the boarding house.
The arrangement of the mill is complete. The machinery is new and of the best, and not a machine is wanting to make a first class manufactory. In the building are 5 sets of cards, 10 jacks, 22 broad Crompton looms, ample finishing machinery, engine with cylinder 15x36 inches, hydro-extractor, patent cloth dryer, and many other convenient machines. The building was intended for 7 or 8 sets of cards, which will be put in when business warrants it. Seventy-five hands are employed, and 2,448 spindles run. The monthly pay-roll averages $3,000. The production is about 5,000 yards of ¾ goods per week. The yearly production reaches nearly a quarter of a million of dollars.
This establishment was entirely destroyed by fire in November, 1865, but its energetic proprietors re-built it in the early part of 1866, and it recommenced operations in June of that year.
This large and well known establishment is situated at No. 43, Water st., between Pine and Poplar sts., and has been in operation since 1857. Dunn & Co. employ eighteen hands, and turn out work to the value of $25,000 annually. The carriages, buggies, sleighs, and other vehicles of their manufacture arc unsurpassed in beauty and durability.
The Carriage Factory of A. McMichael, on Second street, between Arch and Pine sts., was established in 1866, and the excellence and fine finish of his work have already given him an extensive trade. His manufactures, consisting of carriages, wagons, buggies, sleighs, &c., amount yearly to $20,000 in value, and are not excelled in either strength or style here or elsewhere.
Located on the opposite side of French Creek, at the Kennedy bridge, near the foot of Mercer street, was established in 1860 by the present proprietor, Henry Berg. It contains 32 vats, the capacity of each of which is 40 to 50