This enterprising town is situatead in the midst of a rich agricultural section of the county, on the line of the Franklin branch of the Atlantic & Great Western Railway, eleven miles south of Meadville.
It contains three churches, viz: Methodist, Old School Presbyterian, and United Presbyterian. Its mercantile house, in all the different branches of business, supply a large country trade.
Cochranton was settled as early as 1805. The first house was built by John Adams. Large tracts of land were afterwards purchased by Joseph and James Cochran, who were in reality the pioneers of this section, and after whom Cochranton received its name.
A large business is here done in ties furnished from the immediate neighborhood for the use of the Atlantic & Great Western Railway. An extensive business is also done in wool and butter.
The principal manufactories are a steam tannery and grist mill.
Cochranton now numbers about five hundred inhabitants, and is the principal station on the Franklin branch of the Atlantic & Great Western Railway. It is pleasantly located, and is a very desirable place of residence.