Crawford County, Pennsylvania
History & Biography
"GAZETTEER OF TOWNSHIPS."
WEST SHENANGO TOWNSHIP
WEST SHENANGO was formed from South Shenango August 14, 1863. It lies in the south-west corner of the county, being separated from South Shenango by Shenango Creek, which is the only considerable stream. It contains 5,195 square acres. The surface is level and the soil adapted to the culture of fruit and grain. The Ashtabula & Franklin R. R., passes through the township adjacent to Shenango Creek.
The population of the township in 1870 was 357, all of whom were white and all, except 13, native.
During the year ending June 3, 1872, it contained four schools and employed eight teachers. The number of scholars was 89; the average number attending school, 75; and the amount expended for school purposes, $589.23.
TURNERSVILLE (p. o.) is situated in the eastern part of the township and is distant from the A. & F. R. R. one-fifth of a mile. It contains one hotel, a school house, store, harness shop, wagon shop, two blacksmith shops and twenty-one dwellings.
ROYALTON (West Shenango p. o.) is situated in the south-west corner of the township.
Settlement is believed to have been commenced in 1800, by Andrew and John Betts, father and son, the latter of whom preceded his father a few months. They came from Fayette county and located on the farm now owned by Henry Betts, on road 6. Andrew followed hunting for a number of years and his son John relates that in one season he killed deer to the number of 175. John subsequently became a preacher of the Methodist persuasion. Benjamin Snodgrass and Thomas Loughery also came in 1800. They both emigrated from Ireland. The former settled near where Matthew H. Snodgrass now lives. Samuel Scott and John White, the latter from Perry county, were early <p. 119> settlers. A son of the latter advises us that his father settled about 1791, on the farm which he (the son) now owns, and that Scott settled about two years prior to that time. There is reason, however, to doubt this statement. Jeremiah Yokes, from Fayette county, settled in 1801, on the farm now owned by Alfred Kinne, and Robert French, from Redstone, settled in the northern part of the township in 1802. The first school in the township is believed to have been taught by Edward Hatton, who located on the place now owned by his son Leonard Hatton.
State Line M.E. Church was organized with fourteen members, about 1819 by Rev. E. Morse, the first pastor. The Society first worshiped in a school house, and in 1851, their church edifice, which will seat 400 persons, was erected, at a cost of $1,100. The present value of Church property is $1,875.[Information furnished by Mr. Francis H. Royal.
1 Hamilton Child, comp., Gazetteer and Business Directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 (Syracuse, N.Y.: By the comp., 1874), pp. 118-19.