Crawford County, Pennsylvania

History & Biography

prior page     ·     page 14     ·     next page

erected at a cost of $6,000, and in l864 the commodious boarding hall opposite the last named building was built and furnished through the munificence of Hon. C. V. Culver.  It is capable of lodging over 100 students.  The number of students in attendance during the Academic year ending June 28, 1869, was 130.  The present Faculty is as follows :  

    Faculty.Rev. George Loomis, D. D., President and Chamberlain Professor of Moral and Mental Philosophy ; Rev. Jonathan Hamnett, A. M., Vice President and Bradley Professor of Latin Language and Literature ; Rev. William Hunter, D. D., Kramer Professor of Hebrew and Biblical Literature ; Rev. James Marvin, A. M., Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy ; Jeremiah Tingley, A. M., Professor of Physics and Chemistry ; Rev. Ammi B. Hyde, D. D., Professor of Greek Language and Literature.  


    This institution was established in 1844, and has a charter under the laws of Pennsylvania.  It has an endowment in real and personal property of about $150,000.  The buildings belonging to the school consist of Divinity Hall, containing forty-two rooms, Chapel, Library, &c., and two Professors’ houses.  

    The Institution was established by the efforts of the Unitarian denomination ; but students of all persuasions are entitled to equal privileges, and will receive equal attention.  The Act of Incorporation declares that “ no doctrinal test shall ever be made a condition of enjoying the opportunities of instruction in the School, except a belief in the divine origin of Christianity.”  

    All applicants unknown to the officers of the Institution must bring satisfactory testimonials of good character.  

    Candidates for advanced standing must have completed the studies previously pursued by the class they propose to enter.  

    The regular theological course occupies three years, and those only will be considered graduates of the School, and entitled to its diploma, who have completed this course.  Those who remain in the Institution a shorter

next page