Crawford County, Pennsylvania

History & Biography

prior page     ·     page 230     ·     next page


     The borough of Venango is beautifully situated on the west bank of Venango River.  Around is a rich agricultural country, dotted with pleasant farms and well cultivated fields, and owned by a people who are excellent by none in all the qualities of good citizenship.
     The tract of land Venango is built on was settled by Phillip Straw, from Westmoreland county, in the year 1800.  He sold to Solomon Walters in 1817.
     They laid out a village plot, in anticipation of the turnpike coming through this place ;  but, it not coming, Venango still remained in comparative obscurity.
     In 1820, Michael Peiffer purchased the interest of Solomon Walters, comprising the principal part of the present village.
     In 1829, Asa Freeman bought the mill privilege and eighteen acres of land, including a saw-mill, built by Michael Peiffer and Jacob Sherrets.
     In 1832, John Kleckner emigrated here from Lycoming county, bought the Michael Peiffer tract, with the mill property ;  also, the Christopher Siverling (now the Tarr) farm.
     The same year, he built a new saw-mill, and repaired the old one.  In 1838, he had the old village lot surveyed, and named it Klecknerville, making a new addition in 1847-49.  In 1852, the borough was incorporated under the name of Venango.
     It has a population of about four hundred.  The town contains a grist-mill, two saw-mills, woolen factory, steam tannery, wagon and carriage shop, three churches.  The commercial business, in its various branches, is well represented.  The Atlantic & Great Western Railway passes through the town, on the opposite side of French Creek.

next page