Crawford County, Pennsylvania

History & Biography

    STEUBEN was formed from Athens in 1861.  It is an interior township, lying east of the center of the county, and contains 13,772 square acres.  It is drained in the east by Oil Creek and small streams tributary to it, and in the west by the head waters of Muddy Creek and the north branch of Sugar Creek.  It possesses abundant railroad facilities, being traversed in the eastern part by the Oil Creek & Allegheny Valley and Union & Titusville railroads, which run parallel with and adjacent to Oil Creek, and in the central part by the Pennsylvania Petroleum R. R.

    The manufacture of lumber is carried on quite extensively.  There are four saw mills with an aggregate capacity for cutting six and one-half millions feet of lumber per annum; two shingle and two stave mills, and one shingle and stave mill combined, capable of making in the aggregate about six millions of shingles and five millions of staves; the whole giving employment to about thirty persons.  Geo. A. Brice & Co., *102 employ eleven men in the manufacture of wagons and carriages, to the value of about $12,000 per annum.

    The population in 1870 was 1,020, of whom 968 were native, 52, foreign and all, white.

    During the year ending June 3, 1872, it contained eight schools and employed sixteen teachers.  The number of scholars was 281; the average number attending school, 182; and the amount expended for school purposes, $1,762.38.

    TOWNVILLE (p. v.) situated on Muddy Creek, near the south-west corner of the township, contains three churches, one school, two hotels, five stores, four blacksmith shops, two carriage shops, one grist mill, two wooden bowl manufactories, two milliner shops, a photograph gallery, three doctors’ offices, and had, in 1870, 280 inhabitants.  It was incorporated as a borough in 1869.  Messrs. Kingsley and Post were the first two to build here, the former in 1833, and the latter in 1837.

    TRYONVILLE, (p. o.) situated in the north-east part on Oil Creek and on the Union & Titusville and Oil Creek & Allegheney Valley railroads, contains one church, (M. E.) one school, one hotel, two stores, a cooper shop and forty-seven dwellings.  The first buildings were erected here by James and David Tryon, who came from Connecticut about forty years ago, purchased a tract of 700 acres, and built a grist and saw mill upon the creek.

    CLAPPVILLE is situated one and one-half miles south of Tryonville and contains a school, store, saw mill, blacksmith shop and seventeen houses.  The Pennsylvania Petroleum R. R., when completed, will have a station here, which is to be named Waidville, by which name the place is now frequently designated.  It was first settled about forty years ago, by a Mr. Clapp, from whom it derives its name.

    The First Baptist Church of Steuben, at Townville, was organized with fifty members, in 1851, by a council of delegates from other Baptist Churches.  The church edifice, which will seat 270 persons, was erected in 1854, at a cost of $1000, and about $400 are now being expended in its repair.  The first pastor was Rev. Warren D. Bradford ; the present one is Rev. Charles W. Drake.  The Society numbers eighty-five, and its property is valued at $3,000.

    Calvary Church, (Episcopal,) at Townville, was organized with nine members, by Rev. Henry Fitch, in 1867, in which year was commenced the building of the house of worship, which was completed in 1873, and will seat 175 persons.  The first services were conducted by Rev. S. T. Lord, a missionery.  There is no regular pastor, services being held by clergymen from Meadville and Titusville.  There are sixteen members.  The Church property is valued at $5,000.—[Information furnished by Mr. P. Rose.

1 Hamilton Child, comp., Gazetteer and Business Directory of Crawford County, Pa., for 1874 (Syracuse, N.Y.: By the comp., 1874), pp. 118-19.