Crawford County, Pennsylvania


Origins: Kingsleys P.O. established 1830; name changed to Townville in 1865.  Noah Town built a store here about 1835.  [Not named on the 1839 or 1848 county maps.]1
April 1858 Petition for incorporation of Townville presented [apparently denied].2
19 Sept. 1867 Incorporated from Steuben Twp. 3
[Ordered] that the town of Townville be incorporated into ... The Borough of Townville the the [sic] Boundaries thereof shall be as follows Viz Beginning at the n.w. corner of Babtist [sic] Church Lot being s.e. corner of Grave yard Lot, [thence] n. 43° e. 120 rods, thence following the Creek 247 rods to the corner of W Zents Land, thence east 26 rods crossing the Main Road into Land of W. R. King, thence s. 6° w. 166 rods, thence s. 81° w. 174 rods, thence n. 30° w. 234 rods to the place of beginning, Containing 350 acres of land.

1 1885 Crawford Co. Hist., 656.  1865 count map (called Townville and Kingsleys P.O.).  See generally Mary Ann Bidwell Higby, The First Hundred Years of Townville and Vicinity (Rutland, Vt., 1924; rptr. Titusville, Pa., 1976).   RETURN

2 Crawford Co. Court of Quarter Sessions Dk. 7:543 [case name only], #14 April Session 1858.   RETURN

3 Crawford Co. Court of Quarter Sessions, June Session 1867 [no docket entry or papers located], as recorded 21 Sept. 1867 at Crawford Co. Agreement Book B:304-7 [with map at p. 305].  A survey of the borough was recorded 13 June 1978 at Crawford Co. Plan Bk. 7:44.   RETURN